About Derek W. Logue of Once Fallen
(Formerly known by the screen name “The Fallen One”)
(Read more about me in my book Once Fallen)
I have been an activist since 2004, fighting for the rights of registered citizens ( I refuse to use the term “sex offender”). I am also on the registry. In 1999, I made a mistake– I kissed an underage girl. She was somebody I knew, and I knew better. I am what you call a “situational offender.” I was arrested in 2000 and convicted in 2001 (I sat in jail a full year before my conviction.) I served 37 months and was released in April 2003. I never chose to become an activist, but after I spent years in vain laying low, working and paying bills, and bothering no one, I was targeted by local politicians determined to use registrants like me to further their careers. I was forced out of one residence formerly pre-approved by the authorities, and had to fight to keep my second residence. My activism was inspired by my struggle to survive.
I am not against punishment for people who have committed sexual offenses. However, I believe punishment should be coupled with prevention and rehabilitation programs. I have lived under these laws for over a decade, and I have experienced the social ostracism, the denial of housing and employment services, and harassment that is common to those on the registry. My first taste of online activism came in 2004 through a defunct website called “sexcriminals.com.” My fellow activists have helped me through some tough times over the years. Today, I fight to bring wholesale reforms of America’s sex offense laws, including abolishing residency restrictions, the public registry, and community notification, as well as promote programs that emphasize education and prevention of sexual abuse programs. Healing for both victims and offenders should be emphasized.
I created this site to help educate the public as well as assist my fellow activists. In 1999, before my arrest, I earned a Bachelor’s in Justice Studies from Athens State University (in Athens, AL). I bring a decade of practical and research experience on the subject of sex offense laws. Over the years, Once Fallen has become recognized as a leading source of factual information on sex offender laws. Registrants, counselors, lawyers, and even law enforcement officials have utilized the information here. I have made many media appearances to help further the cause.
I was born in Baltimore MD in 1976, but lived in Northwest Alabama for 21 years and in Cincinnati from 2003 until 2019; I now reside in rural Nebraska. I was severely physically and emotionally abused as a child by my stepfather and bullied at school, and later by the state as a foster child. I was abandoned to foster care at age 14 and it took earning a college scholarship to Northwest-Shoals Community College to finally be able to move out on my own at 17 years old. However, unlike the victim cult leaders pushing harsh sex offense laws, I forgave those harmed me in my youth and believe in the power of forgiveness.
In August 2019, I defeated a SLAPP Suit filed against me by Florida State Senator Lauren Book, who attempted — AND FAILED — to silence my activism.
Derek Logue/ Once Fallen Media and Reference Appearances:
- WLWT-5 Cincinnati, 5 Dec. 2006, fighting Residency Restriction Laws (Also on FOX 19 News)
- Cincinnati Enquirer, 29 July 2007, in newspaper (I was actually fairly disappointed in this article)
- Cincinnati Enquirer, July 2007, Online Video Interview
- KTKA News (Kansas), 19 May 2008, mentions my comments in blog on-air
- SO Clear Media, June 2008, Online Interview
- Lehigh Valley Live (PA), 14 Sept 2008, article “The great debate: Are Residency bans effective?”
- Appearances on box Fox 19 and Local 12 in Cincinnati on 9 Apr 2009, as a counter to a protest against the VOA Pogue Center
- New York Daily News, 3 Aug. 2009, opposing iPhone Offender App
- Curb Magazine, 20 Nov. 2009, covering my opposition to the iPhone Offender map app
- The Cypress Times, 24 Nov. 2009, full length editorial “Of Myths and Monsters”
- CNN.com, 12 Jan. 2010, Article on civil commitment
- Allen Hunt Show, 12 Jan. 2010, click here for download mp3, I’m on about 28 minutes in
- ARC Talk Radio, 31 March 2010 (DOWNLOAD from this link)
- Human-Stupidity.com, June 2010
- Cited in DEVIANCE AND DISCOURSE: CHILD MOLESTERS IN THE UNITED STATES by Benjamin Grey (Master’s Thesis)
- Russia Today, 18 May 2011, CLICK HERE FOR VIDEO, CLICK HERE FOR PRINT ARTICLE
- The Paula Gloria Show (Manhattan Neighborhood Network, NYC), 27 April 2012, CLICK HERE for Part 1, CLICK HERE for Part 2
- The Joe Friendly Show (Manhattan Neighborhood Network, NYC), 27 April 2012
- Mobile Lagnaippe, 7 August 2012, article on RSO clustering
- Once Fallen referenced in the book “Unprecedented: How Sex Offender Laws are Impacting Our Nation“ p. 58, p.198, and p.333
- CBS 42 Birmingham, 20 Feb. 2013, news story on the efforts of ReFORM-AL to fight Alabama’s Sex Offender Laws (You can CLICK HERE for the Video Version as it appeared on TV, or CLICK HERE for the raw, unedited interview)
- Huffington Post Live, 4 June 2013, along with USA Fair and FAC
- Dr. Drew On Call [HLN], 13 Aug. 2013, discussing the case of a registrant who gained custody of his daughter
- Broward/ Palm Beach New Times, 20 Aug. 2013, in an article about vigilantes
- Raising America with Kyra Phillips [HLN], 24 Sept. 2013, addressing rehabilitation and sex offender myths
- AL.com (Alabama News), 28 Oct. 2013, opposing AL Sen. Wallace’s revised anti-clustering law
- The Baylor Lariat, 13 Nov. 2013, in response to an editorial featured in an earlier edition
- 700 WLW Cincinnati, 12 Dec. 2013, discussing the need for reforming sex offender sentencing laws
- Washington Post, 28 Jan. 2014, in support of Dennis Sobin, who created a registry to register his registrants
- ACTIVIST CENTRAL 20/20 RADIO, 7 March 2014, discussing serial killer Patrick Drum
- Dr. Drew On Call [HLN], 7 April 2014, discussing whether “SVPs” can be rehabilitated
- WIAT 42 Birmingham, 31 Oct. 2014. Sadly, they didn’t use the best parts of my interview and my identity is not revealed.
- Dr. Drew On Call [HLN], 11 Dec. 2014, discussing whether Registered Persons should be allowed to keep lottery winnings
- Florida Times-Union, 20 Dec. 2014, discussing the negative impact of residency restriction laws
- Miami New Times, 18 Feb. 2015, responding to the Book family, who is pushing for tougher RSO laws (note, I was incorrectly listed as representing another organization, so a later version removed my quotes. This is the original version)
- Doe v. City of Lynn, SJC-11822 (MA Sup Ct 2015), Once Fallen used as a reference in the Amicus Brief
- Sacramento Bee, 10 March 2015, OpEd response to “sex offender colony” idea
- AL.com, 7 April 2015, in an OpEd on whether or not we should still maintain a public registry
- Tallahassee Democrat, 13 April 2015, Letter to the Editor about the Rally in Tally 2015
- Florida Politics & SaintPetersBlog, 22 April 2015, coverage of the Rally in Tally 2015
- UB Spectrum, 8 May 2015, discussing registered persons denied secondary education
- Protecting Our Kids?: How Sex Offender Laws Are Failing Us by Emily Horowitz (Book), appearances on pp. 8-10
- Dr. Drew [HLN], 19 Aug. 2015, discussing Jared Fogle’s sex crime case.
- Alex City Outlook, 14 Sept. 2015, in an article about sex offenders in rural Alabama
- Prison Legal News, 2 Feb. 2016, Honorable mention of Once Fallen in article about the anti-registry movement
- Tales from the Registry, 29 Feb. 2016, discussing my brief “job” at Examiner.com
- “Untouchable” documentary, March 2016, at Tribeca Film Festival
- Broward/ Palm Beach New Times, 29 March 2016, regarding Lauren Book taking money from GEO Group.
- Newsday, 23 April 2016, responding to Parents For Megan’s Law’s frivolous lawsuit against me
- The Film Box, 28 April 2016, a critique of my criticisms against the Untouchable documentary
- Dr. Drew [HLN], 4 May 2016, discussing case of teen who exposed himself in yearbook photo as a prank [YOUTUBE]
- ABC 10 Sacramento and Court House News Service, 27 July 2016, as I joined California RSOL’s protest of IML
- Metamora Films, 31 July 2016, covering the Cali RSOL protest of Int’l Megan’s Law.
- Dr. Drew [HLN], 6 Sept. 2016, discussing the Brock Turner case
- ABC 10 Sacramento, 18 Sept. 2016, criticizing the public registry
- Dayton Daily News, 22 Oct. 2016, discussing registrants in nursing homes [Pic used on WHIO site]
- WHIO 7 Dayton OH, 16 Nov. 2016, on a story on reforming Ohio’s registry laws
- Nebraska Unicameral Update, 9 Feb. 2017, testifying against NE’s LB 60
- OCCC Pioneer Campus Newsletter, 5 May 2017, (p.4-5) discussing life on the registry
- The Atlantic (website), 1 June 2017, discussing registered citizens in nursing homes
- Primetime Justice with Ashleigh Banfield (HLN), 22 June 2017, discussing a vigilante case [TRANSCRIPT]
- Florida Bulldog, 15 Aug. 2017, on the pending legal fight between Once Fallen and Senator Lauren Book of FL
- Primetime Justice with Ashleigh Banfield (HLN), 7 Sept. 2017, discussing RCs, hurricane shelters, & Sheriff Grady Judd
- Washington Times, 27 Sept. 2017, commenting on SOTUS considering reviewing Does v. Snyder
- Vice.com, 24 Oct. 2017, commenting on the treatment of female registrants in society
- Crime and Justice w/ Ashleigh Banfield (HLN), 11 Jan. 2018, discussing a man to be released from the MN-MSOP
- Dayton Daily News (Ohio), 24 March 2018, discussing problems with the registry
- Dayton Daily News (Ohio), 24 March 2018, discussing second chances for juvenile registrants in college
- Washington Times, 19 April 2018, discussing court rulings striking at registry laws
- The Miami Herald, 15 May 2018, Letter to the editor suggesting that the city of Miami fires Ron Book.
- “The Sex Offender Next Door,” Vimeo project by Mikki Skaggs, 16 May 2018
- Corvallis Gazette-Times, 15 June 2018, in support of Oregon State U’s decision to play Luke Heimlich on team
- Kansas City Star, 15 June 2018, Letter to the Editor on KC Royal’s interest in Luke Heimlich
- USM Free Press (Portland ME), 15 Sept 2018, covering the ARM Art-Protest event
- CBS 4 Miami, 14 Aug 2019, Derek Logue win his appeal against FL State. Senator Lauren Book’s bogus restraining order
- Lincoln Journal-Star, 11 Oct 2019, Letter to the Editor on abolishing the registry
- Times Daily (Florence AL), 15 Mar 2020, letter to the editor bashing efforts to stop registrant transitional housing
- The Crime Report, 28 Apr 2020, OpEd on Registration during COVID-19
- Lincoln Journal Star, 26 May 2020, Letter to the Editor on the vigilante murder in Omaha
- The Crime Report, 13 Nov 2020, OpEd on vigilante groups selling merchandise promoting violence
- The Feminist and the Sex Offender by Judith Levine (2020 book): Mention of OnceFallen as part of a growing “Registered Citizens’ Rights” movement.
- Reason: The Volokh Conspiracy, 8 March 2021, discussing my victory over the evil Florida State Senator Lauren Book and free speech
- The Crime Report, 3 August 2021, discussing the US Marshals and 15 years of the AWA
- The Crime Report, 28 September 2021, discussing the ongoing protests against the Minnesota Sex Offender Program
- The Crime Report, 26 October 2021, discussing Halloween restrictions and myths
- CBS 4 Denver, 19 November 2021, quote from my statement to the Colorado Sex Offender Management Board on changing the offensive term “sex offender”
- The Crime Report, 28 January 2022, discussion on Florida’s For-Profit Sex Offense Registry
- Omaha World Herald, 12 Feb 2022, Letter to the Editor on Registry Scam in NE
- The Crime Report, 7 Apr 2022, discussing the claims SCOTUS pick Ketanji Brown-Jackson is “soft on sex offenders”
- The Crime Report, 22 June 2022, discussing the 25th anniversary of the landmark Kansas v. Kendricks ruling/civil commitment
- The Crime Report, 26 Oct. 2022, discussing how “Cancel Culture” and misuse of the term “pedophile stymies abuse prevention.
In 2007, I received a partial pardon from the state of Alabama in recognition of my rehabilitation. I have been “free” for over 14 years without a single accusation or suspicion of re-offense. There is hope for redemption, even for those with the label “sex offender.”
Note: I use the term Registered Person/ Citizen or Registrant, not “Sex Offender” or any P words (pervert, predator, or pedophile) because these are FIGHTING WORDS. Do NOT use these words while addressing me.